Risk Officer (2022/RU/01/0020)
The International Islamic Liquidity Management (IILM) is a Supranational institution established by Central Banks, Monetary Agencies and Multilateral Organisations to facilitate effective cross-border Shari’ah-compliant liquidity management
Since 2013, the IILM has been a regular issuer of short-term Sukuk in the market, having issued in excess of 161 Sukuk to facilitate cross-border liquidity management for institutions offering Islamic financial services.
The IILM is currently seeking a highly-qualified Risk Officer to provide independent oversight of the management of risks inherent in the IILM’s activities :
• oversee and coordinate the IILM’s Enterprise Risk Management approach
• act as key independent executive accountable for enabling the efficient and effective governance of significant risks and related opportunities for the organisation.
The independent risk management function is a key component of the IILM’s second line of defence.
The Risk Officer is also expected to assist and work closely with the Board Risk Management Committee in its primary objective defined under Article 7.1 of the IILM By-Laws ie “to provide oversight on the management of risks faced by the IILM that could lead to financial loss, disruption to operations, failure to attain objectives or damage to the IILM’s reputation.”
This job opportunity is for a driven professional who is looking to make lasting impact to the risk management function at the IILM.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Overseeing the entire Risk Management Unit function
• Act as the secretariat to the Board Risk Management Committee (BRMC) and assist the BRMC to deliver its duties and responsibilities
• Implementation and ongoing monitoring of the Risk Framework which includes operational risk, Shari’ah risk, reputational risk, legal & compliance, financial risk and internal controls
• Close monitoring of the IILM’s operations, perform regular stress testing and establishing early warning triggers
• Contribute to the development and implementation of risk strategy which are in line with the risk limits and objectives approved by the relevant boards
• Perform comprehensive risk reviews of transactions including credit quality, market risk, operational risk etc
• Be the point person to advise management on risk related matters; attend management committee meetings as required
• Provide guidelines for implementing and improving risk governance through enhanced dialogue of risk and strategy between the management and necessary functions
• Establish procedures for monitoring, maintaining and updating risk management policy and standard operating procedure in line with business growth
• Update and enhance the Business Continuity Management framework for the IILM
• Attending and represent the risk management function at board committees (i.e. Board Risk Management Committee, Board Executive Committee and/or Governing Board).
• Participate on ad-hoc projects and additional tasks as and when required, as directed by the supervisor under the instruction of the CEO
Requirements and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in risk management, business, finance, economics, statistics, engineering or law
• Demonstration of strong knowledge of risks identification, assessment and management frameworks
• Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in risk particularly in the Financial Sector, Investment Banking / Islamic Banking background
• Knowledge of risk and governance standards (e.g. Basel, OECD etc)
• Commercial awareness
• Capable of sound judgement with integrity and developing independent opinions
• Strong financial and analytical skills
• Planning and organisational skills
• Strong communication and presentation skills, particularly in board engagement
• Self-motivated and able to work under pressure
• Highly skilled in Microsoft office tools.
Target hiring period will be in March 2022. Interested candidates may submit their application by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before 18 February 2022. Kindly state the position to which you are applying for as the subject of your email.